MINNEAPOLIS — Former Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday vowed to fight a subpoena from the US Department of Justice while simultaneously digging into a key division with former President Donald Trump ahead of a potential presidential campaign.
“I’m proud of what we did on Jan. 6, as difficult as it was,” Pence said after a speech at the Minnesota Club in downtown Minneapolis. “I have nothing to hide and I’m proud of what we accomplished, but for me this is a moment where you have to decide where you stand, and I stand on the Constitution of the United States.”
CBS News confirmed last week that, who was appointed in November to take over two DOJ investigations into Trump. One of the probes involving Trump’s handling of sensitive government records discovered at his south Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago. The second centers around efforts to stop the transfer of presidential power after the 2020 election and interfere with the counting of Electoral College votes on Jan. 6, 2021.
Pence maintained that his opposition to the subpoena was based on legislative privileges instead of executive privileges because of his role as president of the Senate.
“The fact that no vice president has ever been subject to a subpoena to testify about the president with whom they served makes this unprecedented, but that goes to executive privilege,” Pence said. “It’s my understanding that President Trump will fight that, but that’s not my fight. My